Tuesday 13 January 2009

Making Huge News

Managed to get my first real publicity nailed down today (click here for the link). I spent a good deal of last night looking up news agencies in Australia that I could spam with news of the trip. Several people got the info, and surprisingly it wasn't the local press who were first out of the gate. Pleasingly, I had an email from Nic MacBean at the ABC waiting for me in the morning. For those unaware, the ABC is the Aussie equivalent of the BBC, however slightly less prominent. I must say I was glad it wasn't a Radio Interview as a combination of nerves and caffeine had me rambling a little, however I managed to stay 'on-message' for the most part.
Nic seemed very impressed with the trip and is keen to keep up-to-date with the goings-on, which is a good sign. He also mentioned that it’s blatantly clear that we are having a great time even in the lead up to the trek. Although Wes seems to think I've inadvertently managed to offend our newest team member Dave, who unbeknownst to me, is also an Aussie. I am still considering my approach to this as I was quite enjoying being the only Australian about. If you have ever been to London, you'll know that the word 'Aussie' is very rarely used in it's singular form. Your garden variety Aussie in London doesn't tend to travel in packs numbering below 12, generally with a healthy smattering of Wallabies Jersey's.
In any case Nic did quite a good article on our humble trip, and I think you can see both his and my enthusiasm for what we're trying to achieve.
Amusingly, my complete lack of a sense of timing in both cricket and social settings has come to back to haunt me again. Not only was the story published during a cricket match, but it was also on the same day journo's nationwide could finally publish the Matt Hayden Obituaries that they'd been sitting on all summer. Hence the Story list reads:

Matt Hayden Retires
Australia Win
Other cricket scores
Fat bloke gets in way over his head on Everest...
Happy Days

No comments: