Tuesday 17 March 2009

Mum and Me on Channel 3

Throughout my formative years, one thing that will always stick with me is my Father responding to Ray Dineen, the veneerable regional newsreader, each evening with a fond farewell as he wrapped up the days headlines. 'Gooooonight Ray' came the response to Mr Dineens 'from all of us at NBN News, have a good night'. Dad's response was as predictable, and by no means less-regular, then his next request for his youngest son... a chubby smart-alec... to fetch him a post-news cup of tea... even in 40 degree weather. He is a man of habit.

Disappointingly then, the following report on his grown-up youngest son, went out on one of the few days my Father has been out of Australia in his 65 years... click HERE FOR THE REPORT

My good mate Adam has since become a reporter of note on said Regional channel, and after some logistics that General Patten would have dipped his lid too, he managed to get a report together about our fair trip, with Miles doing a commendable job interviewing myself and Kirt before Adam interviewed my mother. Mum, to her eternal credit, agreed to conduct the interview despite originally saying no and clearly bricking it beforehand, carrying out the interview with aplomb. Further to this, Adam couldn't make the actual interview, and Mum had to pretend that Dad was Adam whilst she answered questions being asked from the speaker function of a mobile phone. Dad, doing a bang-up job as a fill-in sound man for his favourite news programme, thankfully took to his stand-in roll with great maturity and never did it cross his mind to smirk, nor pull faces whilst Mum spoke.

After viewing the footage, I think you'd agree that Mum absolutely stole the show. What I would like to address is the following.... 

a) I, 100% hand on my heart, cannot hear the apparent english accent that everybody claims I have. You'll just have to trust me on that one.
b) Yes, I'm aware that my head bobbles around like a combination of Rob Sitch doing an impression of Gareth Evans, a jackinabox, and a fired up Peter Garrett when I talk.
c) talking of drastic head movement whilst speaking, my friend Suki remarked that she would have picked a better outfit if she was going to be on tele. This was sprung on me at the last minute, and it was after work. And I wear terrible clothes to work. The shirts were 2 for £30.
d) I look tired because I was tired. Simples.

This report ended up going out on all of Sky News. Mum and Dad were actually out of the country when it went to air. Mum thought this would spare her blushes... little did she know that Sky News picked up the report and played it every half hour on the following day. Something she was not expecting after getting in from New Zealand....

No comments: