Monday 23 March 2009

A word from my Mother

I recently read the Steve Waugh autobiography and found the chapter written by his wife to be intriguing. This is what inspired me to ask my mother, whom those who have seen the news report will know has had some fairly strong opinions on the trip, to jot down her thoughts on what we are trying to achieve. Here they are:

Now that I’m a five minute Australian television celebrity I thought that I would really extend myself and add a note to Nick’s Blog. When first hearing of the Mt. Everest base camp journey I felt, as I’m sure most parents involved did, that this was an unsafe thing to do, while at the same time asking myself “why”? I now see that with the planning, training, research and organising that has been done over many months in preparation for this trek by all involved that they have given themselves every chance of achieving their goals. While each person has a personal reason for attempting this climb, I feel that the goal to raise a substantial amount of money which will be donated to the people of Nepal is by far goal number one. Will I as a parent be glad when this trek is over? Yes I will.
I would like to wish everyone involved in attempting this climb good luck and good health and a safe return to home base.
Margaret Toovey.

No comments: